I didn’t track down my mother’s recipe for homemade Baileys in time for St. Patty’s, but when I did come across it today I decided to make it anyway.
Almost by accident (my pantry was sparse), I upgraded my mama’s version to an eversoslightly healthier recipe, swapping in light coconut milk for cream and using fat free sweetened condensed milk instead of the good stuff. To be clear: this is still by no means health food, but at least it makes it more reasonable for the occasional non-holiday evening.
- 1 can (14 oz.) fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1 1/4 cup inexpensive whisky
- 1/4 cup vanilla extract (in my case, homemade vanilla vodka)
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl, and blend with immersion blender until smooth. (Alternatively, pour all ingredients into a regular blender, and blend until smooth. The whisk on your mixer would probably work also.)
- Transfer to a storage container (fits perfectly into a large mason jar), and store in the refrigerator for up to two months.
- Spoiler alert: it won’t last two months.
- Sip chilled on its own, or mixed with your weekend coffee.
image credits: Union Jack Creative